2022 was a successful year for the Kansas City Blues Society; we have even bigger plans to expand on those successes in 2023. We greatly appreciate your support throughout the year!
- Hired a total of 17 bands this year to perform at monthly meetings/jams and other events.
- Restarted the tradition of sending out a monthly newsletter, which is vital for communicating with the membership and sharing information about events.
- Held a full year of monthly meetings/jams at different venues.
- The BOD traveled to Memphis to support our winning local band, Stone Cutters Union, at the IBC.
- The BOD attended the Blues Music Awards ceremony in Memphis and supported our hometown winner, Danielle Nicole, who won the Best Bass Guitarist.
- Held a successful Michael Shannon Musicians Fund golf tournament benefit in south Kansas City, which raised over $1,800 for the fund to benefit musicians in need.
- Held a great “Road to Memphis” challenge to find solo/duo and band winners to send to Memphis for the 2023 IBC. Six bands and 2 solo musicians participated in the challenge.
- Held the inaugural KC Women in Blues show with BB’s Lawnside BBQ, which was such a success that we’ve been asked to make it an annual event. We look forward to shining a spotlight on many other KC Women in Blues.
- Held a membership/volunteer party at Score Sports Bar and Grill with a band.
- Changed membership duration from one year to two years, reducing the administrative workload associated with this process.
- Increased regular and lifetime memberships.
In 2023, we plan to continue with the activities listed above and are working on a KC Blues festival on September 23, 2023, at Knucklehead’s Saloon. We are looking to do a Mardi Gras event with a band and are currently looking at venues.
The Board of Directors welcomes your input as we plan these activities. We are also open to ideas from the membership on suggested activities. Please feel free to discuss your ideas with any Board member if you see us at an event, or submit your ideas using our Contact form on this site.